Diameter symbol meaning
The diameter symbol assigned as Ø - is also known as an "O with stroke," a "slashed O," or "O with a slash." In appearance, the symbol features the standard O with a slash within it. The diameter symbol Ø (Unicode U+2300) looks like the lowercase letter ø, and in some typefaces, the symbol even uses the same glyph. However, the glyphs are subtly distinguishable (typically, the diameter symbol uses an exact circle and is somewhat stylized as the letter "o."
How to use diameter symbol
The diameter symbol can be extensively used in engineering drawings. Besides, the diameter symbol may also be seen in situations where abbreviating "diameter" is useful for camera lenses. For instance, a lens with a diameter of about 82 mm can be labeled with the diameter symbol, like ⌀ 82 mm.
How to type the diameter symbol in MS Word
In this part, you will learn some easiest methods to type the diameter symbol in MS Word document in just a few seconds. To insert the diameter symbol (Ø) on Word, you need to follow the below-listed instructions:
- First of all, when you are using the computer's keyboard, you will have to press the button Ctrl + /.
- Then, press the button Shift + O. It should give you the diameter symbol or just a letter O with slash within it.
- Next, you have to hit down the Alt key on the keyboard.
- Finally, you need to press the symbol's Alt code – 0216, using the numeric keypad for the Alt code.
However, there is another way, which you can type the diameter symbol with the keyboard shortcut in MS Word. Check one of the fastest ways to type the diameter symbol with the help of the keyboard shortcut. The keyboard shortcut for the diameter symbol is Ctrl+/, and Shift+O. To use the shortcut correctly, follow the instructions below:
- First, place the insertion cursor at where you wish to put the dimeter symbol.
- Then, click Ctrl + / on keyboard.
- Next, hit Ctrl + O (the letter O).
- After that, if you press these hotkeys sequentially, the diameter symbol Ø will be successfully inserted into your MS Word document.
Using dialog box to insert diameter symbol in MS Word
Another option to insert the diameter symbol into your MS Word document is to use the symbol dialog box. The approach requires you to go within some steps to get the process done. But, be wary that once you get the diameter symbol into your MS document, you can directly copy and paste it when you need it to appear. You should follow the instructions step-by-step to get your symbol in Word:
- Press on the Insert tab in MS Word.
- In the Symbols group, hit on symbol> More Symbol. Once you click it, the Symbols dialog box will appear.
- In the Font drop-down list, select standard text.
- Select ASCII (decimal code) in the drop-down list.
- From the library of Symbols, look for the Slash O and hit on it to choose.
- Then hit the Insert button to insert the diameter symbol.
- Close the Symbols dialog box.
How to type the diameter symbol in Excel
If you need to type the diameter symbol Ø in Excel (This method also works in PowerPoint), then follow these steps:
- Double click in the cell that contains the symbol.
- Click and hold the Alt key by using the numeric keypad.
- Type the Alt code for the diameter symbol - 0216.
Copy and paste the diameter symbol
It is not one of the commonly used symbols you can quickly type with the keyboard. You can directly copy and paste the diameter symbol only by selecting the symbol and press the keyboard button Ctrl + C to copy. Switch over to your web page or document and then press the keyboard button Ctrl + V to paste the diameter symbol. You can copy the diameter symbol right from here: Ø, and insert wherever you want.