About Delta Symbol
Delta (E.g., uppercase symbol Δ, lowercase symbols δ or 𝛿; and Greek lowercase symbol δ) is the 4th letter of the Greek alphabet. In the whole system of Greek numerals, the Delta symbol has a value of 4. The Delta Symbol was initially derived from the Phoenician letter known as “daelta.” Those letters that come from delta consist of Cyrillic Д and Latin D letters. Historically, a river delta (initially known as the Nile River delta) is so named due to its shape which approximates the triangular uppercase delta letter.
What does Delta Symbol (lowercase, Greek δ) denote?
In this section, you will learn more about Delta Symbol (lowercase, Greek) meanings. The Delta lowercase letter δ (or in handwritten 𝛿) may be used to denote the following:
- A variation in the state of a variable in calculus.
- The quality of a vertex (i.e., graph theory).
- A functional derivative in functional calculus.
- An auxiliary function right in calculus is used mainly to rigorously determine the continuity or limit of a given function.
- The Dirac delta function in math.
- The chemical change of nuclear magnetic resonance in chemistry.
- The relative electronegativity of various atoms in a molecule, i.e., δ − is being more electronegative rather than δ+.
- The Kronecker delta in math.
- The change function in automata.
- Deflection in engineering mechanics.
- The force of interest usually in actuarial science.
- Text requiring deletion usually in proofreading; the usage is viewed to date back as far as to classical times.
- The declination of an element in astronomy, mainly in the equatorial coordinate system.
- The dividend yield in the Black–Scholes option pricing formula.
- In some of the manuscripts which are written by Dr. John Dee, where the character of the delta symbol is used to resemble Dee.
- A subunit of the F1 sector of the F- ATPase.
- The rate of depreciation of the aggregate capital stock of an economy usually in a growth model in macroeconomics.
- Ratios of environmental isotopes. For example, 18O/16O and D/1H from water are shows by using the delta symbol as a notation – δ18O and δD.
- The maximum birefringence of a crystal in optical mineralogy.
- In a system that exhibits electrical reactance, or the angle between current and voltage.
- Partial charge in chemistry.
- An Old Irish voiced dental or even an alveolar fricative of uncertain articulation, e.g., the ancestor of the sound presented by Modern Irish DH.
What are computer encodings for Delta Symbol (lowercase, Greek)?
There are various codes to determine the lowercase Greek Delta Symbol which is depicted as a δ symbol. In this section, you will learn more on how to insert or type the Delta Symbol, particularly lowercase Greek δ delta on a computer. In order to get your preferred symbol, you should follow these instructions and type the code accordingly:
- Unicode – decimal 948; hex U+03B4.
- UTF-8 – decimal 206 180; hex CE B4.
- Numeric character reference – decimal δ hex δ
- Named character reference – decimal and hex both use δ
- DOS Greek – decimal 155; hex 9B;
- DOS Greek-2 – decimal 221; hex DD;
- Windows 1253 – decimal 228; hex E4;
- TeX – decimal, and hex both use \delta.