People started using this symbol to represent peace after the Second World War when it was made famous by Pablo Picasso. Gerald Holtom made the original design as the logo for the campaign for nuclear disarmament in Great Britain in 1958.
The symbol was then adopted by broader movements around the world, primarily anti-war movements. It later became widely recognized in the United States when Albert Bigelow sailed with a small boat covered with CND banner. In his way, he passed close to the area where the nuclear tests were happening. After 1968 the symbol was adopted as a generic peace sign especially among the hippie movement and the anti-Vietnam war groups.